Cynthiana Battlefields Foundation | 111 Court Street, Suite 1B, Cynthiana, KY 41031 | info@cynthianabattlefields.org

Camp Frazier, located north of Cynthiana along U.S. 27, was occupied in the fall of 1861 by the 35th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment, which was tasked with guarding a portion of the Kentucky  Central Railroad.  The railroad ran from northern Kentucky, through Falmouth, Cynthiana, and Paris, continuing on to Lexington, making it a important supply and transport route for the side that controlled the line.

‚Äč

The main entrance was located on the Falmouth Pike along the northeast portion of the camp.  The old pike can be seen on the left of the modern photo, taken from St. Edwards Cemetery.

"Cynthiana is a pleasant little town about the size of Middletown - We astonished them not a little when we took up our quarters in their midst - but now have got somewhat used to us - we treat all with politeness."

-Ferdinand Van Derveer, Colonel 35th Ohio