Battle Grove Cemetery is not only the scene of some of the fighting that took place on June 12th, 1864, but is also home to one of the oldest Confederate monuments in the United States. The monument was erected in 1869 and a ring of Confederate soldiers, several of whom were killed either in the 1862 or 1864 battles, surround the monument.
Another Confederate soldier is buried just a short distance to the west of the monument. Lucius Marshall was captain of a Tennessee battery (first known as Jackson's then Carnes' Battery). This battery played an important role at the battle of Perryville in 1862, moving to the Confederate far right and causing heavy casualties on the Federal batteries on what is now known as Starkweather's Hill.